If you require immediate assistance please call (219) 754-5380!

Space Heaters and Power Strips Don’t Mix

burnt extension cord

Space heaters and power strips don’t mix. According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI), space heaters are the second leading cause of house fires in the U.S. The ESFI estimates that space heaters cause 65,000 fires yearly. A space heater plugged into a power strip or an extension cord can get overheated, which can cause a fire.

Amps & Volts Electric Cites Three Reasons Space Heaters and Power Strips Don’t Mix

1. When it comes to plugging in a space heater, a power strip should never be used. Whether your power strip is being used by other items or not doesn’t matter — plugging your space heater into a power strip opens you up to many dangers. A power strip doesn’t have a high enough current flow to support the electrical needs of a space heater. The inadequate electric flow from the power strip can cause the cord to overheat and may lead to a fire.

2. A space heater shouldn’t be left on overnight. In addition, a space heater shouldn’t be left on if you leave your home, even for a few minutes. Space heaters may be small, but they can cause big problems if left unattended. Nothing would be worse than waking up or walking into a home that has caught fire. 

3. Never plug your space heater in near anything that is flammable. Placing rugs under or over the cord, near a couch, and on hardwood is dangerous because these are highly flammable areas. All these highly flammable surfaces could ignite quickly. 

Here is an excellent video of a local fire department finding out that space heaters and power strips don’t mix. Click here to see how quickly the heat makes the wire catch fire.

Whether you’re looking to prevent power strip problems, replace electrical outlets, or improve the heating in your home, Amps & Volts Electric is here to help! Contact us today. Call (219) 754-5380 or use our online schedule to book an appointment.